Prior XV - 2017-2019
David was born in Oregon City, Oregon and for the first fifteen years of his life, David was educated in private schools. He developed a passion for learning and reading. By the age of twelve, he had read dozens of books that were known for their literary importance, typically intended for older readers. The signature of his life since then has been based on a passion for learning and appreciating the finer things in life. This has created a driving passion within David to assist others in experiencing the finest in service and quality making him a natural leader in the hospitality industry.
David’s career has been focused on hospitality and tourism primarily in luxury environments. He has served as an executive in hotels, resorts, and catering organizations for the past fourteen years. In his roles, he has developed strong skills in quality orientation, leadership and management, team-building, financial performance, and organizational effectiveness. He has become adept in sales and marketing, human resources, and overall property management. He has proved his skills in food and beverage repositioning and delivering exceptional quality and financial results wherever he has worked.
David has worked in a variety of venues from city to resort, from traditional to non-traditional, and from large to boutique operations in executive positions including Hilton Portland, Hilton Tarrytown, The Hilton Atlanta, The Harrison House Conference Center, Ritz-Carlton Lodge Reynold’s Plantation, The Mansion on Forsyth Park, Hilton Short Hills and most recently the premiere catering companies - Abigail Kirsch Catering Relationships and now as Managing Director, Relish Caterers and Event Planning.
Working for hotel giants like Hilton and The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, LLC, David became known for his work ethics, detail-orientation, and passion for continuous improvement. For instance, he was instrumental in moving a Ritz-Carlton resort from AAA Four Diamonds to AAA Five Diamonds as a result of specific process improvements. He has become an effective strategic-thinker and is able to actualize plans in very specific ways through the teams with which he works.
Whether in his career or other activities, David has been recognized for his efforts through promotions or awards. His growth has been progressive and he has been instrumental in winning numerous awards for the companies for which he’s worked. He was honored by the Chaine des Rotisseurs with the Bronze Star Award for his in-depth knowledge of fine dining, cuisine, and exceptional event experiences. As a result of his engagement in fraternal and genealogical organizations, he has been promoted to Board of Manager offices.
His continuing education has been very important to him. He has attended Cornell University Professional Development Programs between 2004 and 2006. He realized the need to attain a formal degree and worked to attain a Bachelor of Science in Business and Hospitality through the University of Phoenix while continually working. In 2012, he was accepted into the Fordham University EMBA Program.
David enjoys people of all walks of life and is community-minded and active in many diverse organizations. He is a member of Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue and has served on the Usher Corps since 2011. David became a member of The Sons of the Revolution in the state of New York in 2010 and has served in the capacities of Board of Managers, Chairman of the Color Guard and Chairman of The Stewards Committee. He is currently Prior XV of The Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem, Priory St. Michael and St. George and has been an active member of such since 2010. He has also belonged in the past to St. George's Society and The New England Society. David is a current member of The Princeton Club and has been since 2009.
Prior XIV - 2014-2017
Stephen has been an Order member since 2006 and has been serving as Prior since 2014. He is active in a number of NYC organizations as a board member including the Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies where he serves as board chair. Stephen is a member of Saint Thomas Church in the City of New York, Independent Royal Arch Lodge #2 and other masonic bodies. Stephen is a retired financial services industry executive.
Prior XIII -2011-2014
CDR Chev. John F. V. Cupschalk, GOTJ, (B.A. Eng. Lit./J. , M.A.I.S.) is an IT Manager with Tata Consultancy Services for the New York and regional offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers, and was previously with PricewaterhouseCoopers for 18 years, serving both as national leader for Regulatory Reviews technology support, and national leader for technology training.
Retired from the United States Navy (Reserves) in 2015 after 28 years of service, he served with numerous active duty and reserve commands: Naval Coordination and Guidance of Shipping (two tours) as Executive Officer, Operations Officer and Training Officer; Navy Information Operations Command as Special Projects Officer; Commander Second Fleet as Civil Military Operations and Inter-Agency Affairs Officer; active duty with Navy Central Command/Commander Fifth Fleet as Coordinator for the Friendly Forces Coordination Center (18 nation naval coalition) and Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff - Manpower and Individual Augmentation Manager during Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Decorations include the Armed Forces Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (3 gold stars), Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, National Defense Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, and the Armed Forces Reserve Medal. He also received the Long and Faithful Service Medal from the New York Naval Militia.
Chev. Cupschalk holds a Master of Arts in International Affairs (Middle East Concentration), and a double concentration Bachelor of Arts in English Literature & Journalism (minor for Political Science) from Old Dominion University. He also received the Naval War College Graduate Certificate in Strategy & Policy.
Chev. Cupschalk served two years as an OSMTH representative to the United Nations.
Other activities and organizations include Past-Commander of the New York Commandery of the Naval Order of the United States, sitting on the Boards of Directors for the New York Council of the Navy League of the United States and the New York Commandery of Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States, and commissioned a colonel in the Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels. He was made a Freeman of the City of London as an “Information Technology Manager & Citizen of London”, and is a member of the St. George's Society of New York City and the Royal Society of St. George, Westminster Branch. He is an assistant head usher at St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York City, where he has ushered since 1991.
Prior XII - 2009-2011
Prior XI - 2007-2009
Michael was a chemistry teacher at Newtown High School, Queens, eventually working for the Board of Education before his retirement. He was an adjunct professor of education at Pace University and The City College of New York.
After retirement, Michael spent part of the year at his home in St. Augustine.
Michael, a member of Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue for 40 years, served on vestry for 12 years as building chairman. He was the head usher for 15 years and a member of the Lectors' Guild.
Prior Michael was a Grand Cross of the Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem, Officer Brother of the Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem, a brother of Independent Royal Arch Lodge No. 2 F&AM, serving as Treasure for 15 years, Life member, St. George Society of New York; The New England Society of New York; The Church Club of New York; The Pilgrims of the United States and The St. Augustine Yacht Club.
Prior X 2004-2007
Mr. Charles, the son of Melvin Mower and Sylvia Ann Cookus Charles, was born in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. He was educated at Jacksonville Episcopal High School, the University of Florida, Florida State University and New York University.
Mr. Charles is a well-known interior designer having worked for several major architectural firms before founding Michael H. Charles Associates in 1985. His designs have been published in numerous magazines and books over the years and he was the recipient of the prestigious Wool Bureau Award for fabric design. Michael H. Charles Associates maintains offices in New York City and St. Augustine, Florida.
* Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Virginia (life member)
* General Society of Colonial Wars (Secretary and life member of the New
York Society; regular member of the Florida Society Society; Gentleman
of the Council of the New York Society)
* National Gavel Society
* Hereditary Order of the Descendants of Colonial Governors (Honorary
Governor General; life member)
* Saint Nicholas Society of the City of New York (life member; Member of
* Colonial Order of the Acorn (life member)
* Order of the Indian Wars of the United States (life member)
* General Society Sons of the Revolution (member in the States of New
York and Pennsylvania; life member of NY Society; Fraunces Tavern
Museum Board Member)
* Saint Andrews Society of New York (life member)
* Saint David Society of New York (life member)
* Saint George's Society of New York (life member; Board member; Chairman Activities; Chairman - Queen's Jubilee 2002; Ball Committee)
* Society of the Sons of Saint George of Philadelphia (life member)
* Military Society of the War of 1812 (life member)
* Veteran Corps of Artillery State of New York (life member)
* The Huguenot Society of America (life member; Registrar General; Member of the Membership Committee)
* Colonial Society of Pennsylvania
* Military Order of the Stars and Bars (life member; Commander of the New York Society)
* Order of the Southern Cross (life member)
* Dutch Settlers Society of Albany (life member)
* Huguenot Society of Pennsylvania (life member)
* National Society Sons of the American Colonists (life member; former Vice President General)
* Society of the Descendants of the Colonial Clergy (life member)
* Order of Americans of Armorial Ancestry (Secretary General)
* Flagon and Trencher (life member)
* Descendants of the Founders of New Jersey (Councilor General)
* National Society Descendants of Early Quakers (life member)
* Friendly Sons of St. Patrick of Philadelphia (life member)
* Order of Descendants of Colonial Physicians & Chirurgiens (life member)
* Sons and Daughters of the Colonial & Antebellum Bench and Bar 1585-1861 (life member)
* National Society Sons and Daughters of Antebellum Planters 1607-1861 (life member)
* National Society Sons of the American Revolution (Florida State, Past Regional Vice President; Organizing President, St. Augustine Chapter; First Continental Chapter, New York City, Member of the Council)
* General Society of the War of 1812 (former Florida State President)
* National Society Sons and Daughters of the Pilgrims (Florida and New York; Councilor - New York Branch)
* Naval Order of the United States (New York Commandery)
* Son of Confederate Veterans (Commander, Gen. Archibald Gracie, Jr. Camp #985)
* Burns Society of the City of New York
* Sovereign Military Order of the Temple of Jerusalem (past Prior of St. Michael & St. George New York City Priory; Silver Pilgrim Shell)
Mr. Charles is a member of the Pilgrims of the United States, New York, as well as The Honourable Company of Freemen of London. He is also a member of St. Thomas Church of Fifth Avenue where he serves as Head Usher, and on the Choir School Benefit Committee, as Acquisitions Chairman, and on the Stewardship Committee. He is a life member of theSociety of Mary; Confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament; Guild of All Souls; Society of King Charles the Martyr; and the Church Club of New York where he served as a member of Events Committee. Mr. Charles is past Worshipful Master of the Masonic Independent Royal Arch Lodge #2 F&AM, of New York City. He has served as Junior Warden and Master of Ceremonies. Mr. Charles is also a member of Long I Grotto; Scottish Rite, Valley of New York, 32 degree; Ancient Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, New York City; Columbian Council, Cryptic Masons, New York City; Morton Commandery, Knights Templar, New York City; Paumonock Council, Knight Masons, New York City; Quatuor Coronoti Lodge #2076, London, England; and the Royal Order of Scotland. He is a member of the Ponte Vedra Club of Jacksonville, FL; the St. Augustine Yacht Club; the Royal Scottish Automobile Club of Glasgow, Scotland; and the Lansdowne Club of London of London, England.
Marquis Who's Who in AmericaWho's Who in Interior Design
The Social Index (Palm Beach, Florida)
Copyright © 2018 Priory of St. Michael & St. George - All Rights Reserved.
NON NOBIS, DOMINE, NON NOBIS